The comprehensive contents from this book, combined with Odigia’s Teaching and Learning Tools have everything you need to engage, collaborate, track, and assess your students.
Helping Teachers Do What They Do Best: Teach
Use our courses as is or easily customize them to fit your teaching style and the needs of your students. You can add your favorite resources, hide and show our existing content and pre-built assessments, or make them your own. Everything your students need, in one place!
Engage and Collaborate
Odigia combines learning materials, discussions, and tools to create a familiar social experience for students allowing you to easily connect and redirect students attention.
See how much time students are spending on different areas of the course, which areas are creating the most amount of engagement and identify topics the students are struggling with. Flag and provide feedback on assignments to proactively meet individual students' needs.
Game theory allows students to monitor their progress visually and motivates them to stay on track. Students can see exactly what activities they need to complete, which ones have been flagged and compare their progress against the overall class.
College Success Course Outline
- Why College?
- The First Year of College Will Be an Experience
- College Culture and Expectations
- How Can This Book And This Course Help?
Knowing Yourself as a Learner
- The Power to Learn
- The Motivated Learner
- It’s All in the Mindset
- Learning Styles
- Personality Types and Learning
- Applying What You Know about Learning
- The Hidden Curriculum
Managing Your Time and Priorities
- The Benefits of Time Management
- Time Management in College
- Procrastination: The Enemy Within
- How to Manage Time
- Prioritization: Self-Management of What You Do and When You Do It
- Goal Setting and Motivation
- Enhanced Strategies for Time
Planning Your Academic Pathways
- Defining Values and Setting Goals
- Planning Your Degree Path
- Making a Plan
- Managing Change and the Unexpected
Reading and Notetaking
- The Nature and Types of Reading
- Effective Reading Strategies
- Taking Notes
Studying, Memory, and Test Taking
- Test Taking
- What Thinking Means
- Creative Thinking
- Analytical Thinking
- Critical Thinking
- Information Literacy
- An Overview of Communication
- Purpose of Communication
- Communication and Technology
- The Context of Communication
- Barriers to Effective
Understanding Civility and Cultural Competence
- What Is Diversity, and Why Is Everybody Talking About It?
- Categories of Diversity
- Navigating the Diversity Landscape
- Inclusivity and Civility: What Role Can I Play?
Understanding Financial Literacy
- Personal Financial Planning
- Savings, Expenses, and Budgeting
- Banking and Emergency Funds
- Credit Cards and Other Debt
- Education Debt: Paying for College
- Defending against Attack: Securing Your Identity and Accounts
Engaging in a Healthy Lifestyle
- Taking Care of Your Physical Health
- Taking Care of Your Emotional Health
- Taking Care of Your Mental Health
- Maintaining Healthy Relationships
- Your Safety
Planning for Your Future
- Why Worry about a Career While I’m in College?
- Your Map to Success: The Career Planning Cycle
- Where Can You Go from Here?
College Success is a comprehensive and contemporary resource that serves First Year Experience, Student Success, and College Transition courses. Developed with the support of hundreds of faculty and coordinators, the book addresses the evolving challenges and opportunities of today’s diverse students. Engagement, self-analysis, personal responsibility, and student support are reflected throughout the material.
About the authors:
Senior Contributing Authors
Amy Baldwin, University of Central Arkansas
Lisa August, Canisius College
James Bennett, Herzing University
Sabrina Mathues, Brookdale Community College
Susan Monroe, Northern Virginia Community College
MJ O’Leary, WellnessMultiplied
Ann Pearson, San Jacinto College
Joshua Troesh, El Camino College
Margit Watts, University of Hawaii at Manoa