Carolina Distance Learning: Geology Labs
The Carolina Distance Learning® lab kit, created specifically for college-level Geology, includes rocks, apparatus, safety equipment, and more. This kit, combined with Odigia’s Teaching and Learning Tools, is everything you need to engage, collaborate, track and assess your students.
Starting at $61.00 per student.
This course includes:
Digital Learning and Teaching Tools
Effective Hands-On Lab Kits
The Benefits of Carolina Distance Learning + Odigia
Make It Yours
Customize the lab kit and assessments to fit the needs of your course and match your desired learning outcomes.
No Hassle Delivery
Kits are delivered directly to your students, at the time and price you need, giving your students a successful lab experience wherever they are.
Go beyond the traditional with digital learning and teaching tools that help prepare students for success in today’s workplace.
Create an immersive, engaging, and affordable distance learning experience. Can connect to your LMS or run independently.
Carolina Distance Learning: Geology Labs
Lab Kits Available in Odigia:
Density and Earth's Structure - $9.00
- Calculate the density and specific gravity of an irregularly shaped object
- Identify and describe the compositional and mechanical layers of the earth
- Define, explain, and illustrate the relationship between density, crustal thickness, and isostasy
- Explain the importance of the bimodal distribution of the earth’s hypsometric curve
Plate Tectonics - $0.00
- Demonstrate a knowledge and understanding of continental drift and the different lines of evidence that Alfred Wegener used to support his theory
- Identify the different types of plate boundaries and the characteristic features that form at them because of tectonic plate movement
- Differentiate between oceanic and continental crust and identify the plate boundary settings where oceanic crust is created or recycled
- Describe the relationship between age and the topography of the ocean floor relative to plate boundaries
- Calculate the rate of tectonic plate movement through the interpretation of paleomagnetic data at mid-ocean ridges (seafloor spreading rate), hot spot tracking, and continuity of structures
Mineral Property Identification - $26.00
- Define what a mineral is and describe how to distinguish between a rock and a mineral
- Determine the luster, color, streak, and relative hardness of a mineral sample and whether the sample displays any special properties, such as magnetism, reaction with acid, or greasiness to the touch
- Distinguish between cleavage and fracture
- Devise and apply a hierarchical classification scheme that can be used to identify common minerals based on comparing your observations to the mineral reference chart
Rock Cycle - $20.00
- Define what a rock is, and describe how to distinguish between a rock and a mineral
- Explain the different processes that form rocks in the rock cycle and how rocks are recycled to make new ones
- Determine the texture (grain size, shape, and orientation) and composition (mineral content) of a rock specimen to determine if it is igneous, sedimentary, or metamorphic
- Devise and apply a hierarchical classification scheme that can be used to identify common rocks based on comparing your observations to the rock dichotomous keys
Greenhouse Gases and Sea Level Rise - $14.00
- Explain the causes of increased carbon emissions and their likely effect on global climate
- Discuss positive and negative climate feedback
- Distinguish between glacial ice melt and oceanic ice melt
- Measure the effect of CO2 gas on seawater acidity
- Construct a 3-D model from a 2-D contour map
- Evaluate and improve a model system
Groundwater and Surface Water Interactions - $24.00
- Describe the importance of freshwater availability
- Construct multiple groundwater and surface water models and analyze different ways the water can become contaminated
- Distinguish between point and non-point pollution sources and explain the impact of each
- Describe the interconnectedness of groundwater and surface water in the environment
Stream Morphology - $13.00
- Design a stream table model to analyze the different characteristics of stream flow
- Explain the effects of watersheds on the surrounding environment in terms of the biology, water quality, and economic importance of streams
- Identify different stream features based on their geological formation due to erosion and deposition
Earthquakes - $11.00
- Identify and explain how faults, volcanic eruptions, and mass movements can cause earthquakes
- Interpret a seismogram and travel-time graph to determine the location of an earthquake’s epicenter
- Determine the magnitude of an earthquake by interpreting seismogram data
Rivers and Floods - $15.00
- Interpret topographic contour lines to measure gradients and relief; identify hills, basins, ridges, valleys, steep slopes, and gentle slopes
- Determine stream flow direction, gradient, and sinuosity from a topographic map
- Interpret stream valley profiles, and explain correlations between a stream’s characteristics and the shape of the valley it creates
- Identify and differentiate erosional and depositional landforms created by streams
- Use historical data (stream discharge) to calculate flood recurrence intervals and create a flood frequency graph
Mass Wasting - $0.00
- Define what a landslide is and understand the role that slope, gravity, and the angle of repose play when identifying a landslide
- Describe how water saturation levels and slope movement are used to categorize landslide types
- Employ Google Earth to examine the after effects of historic landslides and identify high-risk landslide areas
Combine these labs with our comprehensive Physical Geology content to create a complete digital learning experience for your students.
I needed a customized lab kit that would flow seamlessly with the course content and the investigations needed to be easy for students to follow and complete.Dr. Kelley Flaherty
Students have told me how much they enjoy doing the labs and how the labs help them learn the material and do well in the class.Dr. Jennifer McCall
Carolina Distance Learning® develops and manufactures lab kits that are designed specifically for college-level distance education. These kits provide the same rigor, relevance, and results as traditional labs, giving your online students a successful lab experience wherever you are.
Odigia provides digital learning and teaching tools that enhance the way students and instructors access, modify, and engage with content, collaborate with each other during the course, track progress and understanding of content, and ultimately apply knowledge.
Interested in learning more about Carolina Distance Learning + Odigia?